A Few Words from Bud
In the digital age, what's a parent to do? Join our discussion on Wednesday.
Bagels with Bud this Wednesday, November 14 from 7:45 – 9:00 AM will be a conversation on parenting in the iPhone Age. While I am not a Luddite and I appreciate the benefits of living in the online era, I often caution families about the amount and type of screen time that younger children have access to.
Some of my concerns include:
- Ease of cyber bullying – Do children have the sophistication to understand the power of this medium? It is so easy to use technology at someone else’s expense.
- Addiction (Minecraft, Fortnite, and many others) – Did you know that the gaming world knows full well how to entice children and keep them coming back for more and more? They hire psychologists to target your child.
- Loss of face-to-face communication – Are we raising a generation who do not understand how to communicate in non-digital contexts? Schools have become places where many children need to learn social cues because they lack social interaction in their lives.
- Skimming rather than reading – Are we becoming a culture that promotes surface understanding rather than reading for depth?
- What’s a parent to do? – What is the right age for children to get an iPhone? How much screen time is recommended for each age group? How do you set limits?
I hope you will join me for this conversation.
Below are a few articles to get us started.