K-8 Math Department Chair
The Rashi School seeks a K-8 Math Chair for the 2018-2019 school year. This new role is designed to support teachers in challenging every student and develop Rashi’s math program. It offers rich opportunity for schoolwide innovation and leadership. Rashi’s current math curricula include Think Math! in grades K-5 and a mix of Big Ideas, Transition to Algebra, and Pearson’s CME Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II in grades 6-8.
- Provide support to math teachers in grades K-8 through observation, classroom modeling, and coaching of best practices
- Work with teachers to review and implement a math curriculum based on
- Teach 1-2 sections of middle school math, five days a week (50 mins/day)
- Supervise two middle school math teachers
- Lead bi-weekly middle school math meetings
- Facilitate professional development offerings for faculty in math
- Lead a middle school advisory
- Attend weekly faculty meetings on Wednesday afternoons
Essential capacities for successful leadership of the Rashi math program include:
- A passion for math and math education
- Deep commitment to collaborative leadership
- Strong grasp of student-centered, developmentally appropriate math pedagogy
- Ability to inspire and challenge students
- Ability to nurture faculty growth and reflection, and a keen understanding of how to offer effective feedback
Successful candidates will have an undergraduate or advanced degree in math and at least 5-7 years of experience teaching math, along with familiarity with Think Math! and/or similar math curricula. Previous experience as a math specialist or department chair is preferred.
Candidates should email cover letter, resume, and professional references to email@example.com.