Hebrew Language Department Chair
The Rashi School seeks a Hebrew Language Department Chair to lead a department of nine Hebrew teachers. At Rashi, we teach modern Hebrew from kindergarten through 8th grade. Reporting to the School Rabbi/Director of Jewish Studies, the Hebrew Department Chair works to promote students’ comfort and proficiency in spoken and written Hebrew, support the joy of learning Hebrew, and deepen students’ connection with the culture and people of Israel.
We seek candidates with proven excellence in teaching Hebrew K-12, experience with differentiated foreign language instruction, and previous leadership and supervisory experience. Candidates should have an interest in being part of a community both inside and outside the classroom and department. Fluency in Hebrew is required as well as an understanding of developmentally appropriate teaching and learning K-8. A strong commitment to collaboration among Hebrew teachers and throughout the school, and to professional growth both personally and for the department as a whole.
To advance excellence in Hebrew teaching and learning, this leader will:
- Supervise teachers: Observe, mentor, support and evaluate Hebrew faculty. Recruit and orient new Hebrew teachers as needed.
- Oversee student learning: placement, assessment, experience. Coordinate proactive parent communication and field parent questions.
- Foster collaboration, collegiality, and a growth mindset throughout the department.
- Teach in the classroom (one or two sections).
- Implement professional development for the department.
- Oversee the articulation and evolution of the Hebrew curriculum scope and sequence K-8.
- Coordinate the business of the department, including materials, budget, etc.
- Collect and analyze data about the effectiveness of the program. Develop action steps for growth.
To advance Rashi’s mission and core values, this leader will:
- Advance Jewish learning as part of Rashi’s “J-Team.”
- Integrate Hebrew and Israel into other areas of the School through interdepartmental collaboration.
- Participate in School community as a colleague and educator.
Position Requirements include:
Fluency in Hebrew.
Undergraduate degree in Education, Hebrew, or related.
5 or more years of Hebrew teaching experience.
2 or more years of supervisory experience.
Essential capacities for successful leadership of the Rashi Hebrew department include:
- Deep commitment to collaborative leadership.
- Strong grasp of student-centered, developmentally appropriate pedagogy.
- Ability to nurture faculty growth and reflection, and a keen understanding of how to offer effective feedback.
- Proven ability in managing change and guiding others through organizational change.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter and professional references to email@example.com.