Substitute teachers are tasked with maintaining continuity and quality in the assigned instructional program during the regularly scheduled teacher’s absence.
- Follow instructional guide outlined in teacher lesson plans.
- Follow class expectations outlined in teacher lesson plans.
- Create and maintain a positive learning environment in the classroom.
- Maintain daily attendance and report paperwork.
- Keep a daily log about the progress of the day and leave it for the regular teacher.
- Clean teaching area at the end of the day – put all equipment and materials away. If it is the usual daily practice, have students place chairs on the desks.
- Perform any other tasks that are assigned to the regular teacher on that day (lunch or recess duty, study hall, etc.).
- Bachelor’s degree
- Two or more years of experience working with students in K to Grade 8 preferred
- A suitable background check
Substitute teachers are considered W-2 employees.
A suitable background check including FBI fingerprinting, a completed Form I-9, Form W-4, and other documents are required.
Short term substitute teachers are paid $15 per hour ($120 per full school day) in gross wages.
Long term substitute teachers (subs that are scheduled to work more than 20 consecutive school days) are paid $20 per hour ($160 per full school day) in gross wages.
Substitute teachers are not paid for school breaks and holidays.
Long term substitute teachers are paid for snow days and other emergency closures if the substitute teacher was scheduled to work that day.
Substitute teachers accrue MA paid sick time in accordance with Massachusetts law.
Substitute teachers may participate in The Rashi School 403b retirement savings plan.
Additional employee benefits are available to substitute teachers that are scheduled to regularly work more than 20 hours per week. Please consult HR for details.
Substitute teachers must reapply each new school year.
To be considered for a substitute teacher assignment:
1.Send your cover letter, resume, and list of professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2.Candidates receiving an offer of employment will be asked to authorize a criminal background check and get fingerprinted.
3.If background checks are suitable, on-boarding paperwork will be completed.
4.For each day worked, you must enter time worked in your online ADP time card, or submit a paper time sheet approved by your Division Head.
5.Substitute teachers are paid by direct deposit on the 15th day and the last day of the month (or the previous weekday if payday falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or Federal holiday). Please consult HR for a schedule of pay periods and pay dates.