Substitute School Nurse
Under the supervision of the Assistant Head of School and Full-Time School Nurse, the Substitute School Nurse is responsible for the operation of the School health center.
- Assess and provide first aid care to ill and injured students, faculty, and staff.
- Assist individuals with specialized health care needs.
- Maintain confidentiality, document and notify parents/ guardians, and/or Emergency Medical Services (EMS) as necessary.
- Remain with and give comfort to ill or injured students until released to the parent/guardian. Offer comfort measures to students with minor discomforts.
- Observe and report any unusual behavioral finding or unsafe student activity to School administrators.
- Assume responsibility for intervention and coordinate counseling appointments for students with mental health issues.
- Assume the responsibilities of a Massachusetts Mandated Reporter.
- Assist in administration of medications according to physician and parent instructions.
- Communicate with physicians and parents to obtain authorization forms. Notify parents of prescription refills as needed.
- Maintain contact with physicians as references and/or for consultations. Maintain appropriate documentation and communication.
- Maintain the health office in a clean, orderly and safe condition.
- Dispose of biomedical waste and hazards according to established procedures.
- Prepare and restock first aid kits for classrooms and field trips as assigned. Ensure medications are secured in double locked cabinets.
- Maintain confidential student health records and accident reports including treatment records/logs, emergency information, immunization records, disability, and allergy information, and hearing/vision screening results.
- Receive and review new student health files. Communicate with other schools as needed to clarify or obtain information as needed.
- Assure students have updated immunization records. Prepare letters or exclusion notices and notify parents and Assistant Head of School as appropriate.
- Maintain inventory and order health office supplies within budget guidelines.
- Assist school administrators in the placement of medically involved students to include mainstreaming special needs students.
- Screen for vision and hearing impairments. Designate those students who perform unsatisfactorily on the screening examinations to be re-examined by appropriate sources.
- Screen for head lice as needed. Distribute information to parents regarding treatment of affected students.
- Conduct periodic workshops and in-services to instruct school personnel in first aid, CPR, and related health procedures. Develop and organize health services and injury prevention programs for students, faculty, and staff.
- Maintain professional standing through required continuing education.
- Partner with Safety Committee regarding fire and emergency procedures.
- Participate in faculty meetings as required.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of state and federal health and safety regulations.
- Degree from an accredited nursing program.
- One year of medical/clinical experience as a Registered Nurse.
- Current valid MA State License as a Registered Nurse.
- Audiometric Certificate desirable.
- Valid Advanced First Aid and CPR Certificate issued by an authorized agency. Certification must be renewed every two years.
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person and on the telephone.
- Seeing to assess student injuries or illnesses.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard and medical equipment, perform first aid and CPR.
- Sitting or standing for extended periods of time.
- Pushing or pulling to assist students in wheelchairs.
- Lifting and carrying moderately heavy children.
- Bending at the waist.
- Potential for contact with blood and/or other body fluids, blood-borne pathogens, and communicable diseases.
- Chemicals including antiseptics and disinfectant.
- Potential contact with physical aggression from students.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and professional references to Jobs@rashi.org.